Katrina Survivors “Nearly Forgotten”
Uncategorized Posted Nov 18, 2005 by metropolis
A CNN article from yesterday reports:
“We feel like we are citizens of the United States who are nearly forgotten,” said Democratic Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco.
“It is a very frustrating thing. People are weary. They want to move on … It’s going to take us a while. And we still need help from Washington.”
The stories that come out of the Gulf continue to break our hearts. We all want to do what we can to help. For us, that translated into co-sponsoring a Red Cross fundraiser with Network World on November 29th. Because of the scope of the relief effort, for the first time the Red Cross has had to borrow funds. While $2.3 billion is needed, only about $1.3 billion has been raised.
For a $25 donation to the Red Cross at the door, you can join us and 150 friends for an evening of fun, food and frugging. (Rumor has it, there will be a band.) We’ll have a raffle for an iPod nano, along with some stellar silent auction items, including:
- Two tickets to the Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens
- Vintage wines from local collectors’ cellars
- A Day of Beauty at an award-winning beauty salon and spa
- Two colorful “butterfly” chairs from renowned Archie’s Island Furniture
- Gift certificate to the historic North Bridge Inn in Concord, with dining at Walden Grille
- Gift certificates to fine restaurants in the greater Boston area
- A gift basket of dessert wines and chocolates
- Memorabilia from the New England Revolution
- Rookie card of former Red Sox great Nomar Garciaparra
- Italian pottery by an artisan associated with Wellesley’s Clever Hand Gallery
- Original art and photography
All funds raised from the evening will go directly to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
We hope to see you on November 29th, from 6-9 p.m. at the Doubletree in Waltham. Kindly RSVP by November 22nd to email@example.com or 781-672-3131.